Friday, November 23, 2012

No excuses

 This entry is just so I have something for November. Obviously, I haven't written anything since the end of October, and I'd at least like to get one thing a month in, at the very least. And this is the very, very least.



 Truth is, I just haven't felt like I've had anything useful to offer and, after a re-reading of A Confederacy of Dunces, I haven't had the stomach to expose the collective unconscious to self-absorbed, cod-philosophical rubbish. I know it runs counter to the usual "how to be a writer" suggestions and tips, but it just didn't sit well to post useless crap.

 I considered a thing or two around the election, but I couldn't get my thoughts together for it. I am very, very happy Obama beat Romney and I'm happy there is little question about it. It wasn't a curb-stomping, but it was a solid, unequivocal victory for the President. I was also quite pleased with the large number of women voted into Congress, the marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington, and the ousting of those odious "rape isn't a bad thing" jackasses like Todd Akin. I'm also happy that Paul Ryan's political career is, for now anyway, stalled. That guy's worrisome.

 There has been a lot of talk about why the Republicans lost - or at least failed to make any ground and arguably slipped a notch or two - and what they can do to get back lost constituency. I haven't seen much examples, though, and most of what I've seen is them - or their media and internet voices - doubling down on the whole "people just voted for Obama because they're lazy and want free stuff" stroke. Time and tide will tell the tale. However, I am not sanguine that the Grand Old Party will become the champion of the gay Hispanic union member any time soon.

 But that's about all I got to say about that. I do not have political fire I once had and I take a very pragmatic if cynical view of the whole process. It is corrupt and inefficient and barely functioning, but it is important to pay attention and take part. It's screwed up we only have two options, but of the nascent third part hopefuls, none fill me with any sort of interest for various reasons. It's just flat wrong that those with the most money have the most heard voice, but we do still have it within our power to be heard if we shout together. We seem to be intent on being dumb, mean, ugly, petty, frightened, and small, but we don't have to be.

 But beyond that, I'm just burnt out on it, like I'm burnt out on so many things. I'm not sure how I feel about not really having that piss and vinegar anymore, but I'll keep doing what I think is right and proper. That means paying attention, voting, donating to organizations and causes I respect, the odd missive to an elected representative over an issue in contention, and knowing what the hell I'm talking about. That's about the only instruction I feel comfortable giving, there.

I think that's all for now. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.