Saturday, April 24, 2021

Sometimes there's a part of me that has to turn and go from here.

  Another week's come to an end. I'm not particularly interested in recapping the week's News, but I do think it was a pretty good week. I did good work on Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict Wednesday and the bill to make Washington, D.C., a state Friday. At least I think so, anyway, do check it out. Monday was basically more "cops shoot unarmed black people" and that shit's getting depressing.

 Another harmonica came today, a Fender Blues DeVille in G. Initial testing is positive. It's got a nice, warm tone and a good feel. Plus, the black matte looks cool. I'd recommend it, especially for a starter harp. It's pretty affordable, usually between thirty and forty dollars before shipping. The Fender Blues Deluxe is cheaper, between ten and twenty dollars, and it's a pretty good harp, as well, if your budget's tight. Honestly, I can't tell which is better. I still maintain the Marine Band or Blues Harp from Hohner is top of the line, but it's nice to have options.

 It should be noted these do have plastic combs, so if that's a no-go for you, something to consider. I'm coming around on quality plastic combs myself. I may break down and buy a Special 20 just to see how it matches up. That one the place in Tupelo has is an F, which is a key I don't have. I'm looking at about $300 in harmonicas on my desk and I'll probably never play the bulk of them outside my room.

 As a side note, my income tax refund and my stimulus check came in all at once. It's a decent bit of change I wasn't expecting. I hadn't received one and I figured since my work was all freelance, it just wasn't enough to make the nut. I figure when my buddy I'm writing for did his taxes and reported money paid to me, it tripped a something or other with the Treasury. So, yeah, a nice surprise and I don't feel as bad about buying harmonicas I don't need.

 Okay. I'm going to leave Biden's recognition of the Armenian Genocide for tomorrow. It is a very big deal, though, as it's been something that's been denied by the entire world's governments for over 100 years. Hitler used that as a reason to justify the Holocaust and it's been a sore tooth for the West's relationship with Turkey. That has always been a bone of contention, particularly since Erdogan took power back in 2003. Almost 20 years in the highest office in the country is never a good sign, I don't care who says otherwise.

 Finally, unless something comes up, I got around to playing Hand Of Fate 2 and it's a good time. I like that whole block-counter fight style like in the Batman games and it makes me want to give Shadow of Mordor another shot. I'm still working on Outward and the first two Witcher games, and I've dived back into Dragon Age: Origins to see if I can get more of it down. I have the first Mass Effect downloaded for the same reason, but these goddamn games are so huge. It's amazing how the technology has advanced, and not just from the Pac-Man or Frogger days. Crazy, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.