Saturday, June 12, 2021

Maybe she just has to sing for the sake of the song.

 I swear, I'm not buying another damn thing from eBay. I finally got the Paul Butterfield book I ordered over a month ago, but at least two harmonicas seem to be lost to the aether. It's irritating because, frankly, you can get better prices on eBay for a lot of stuff but the damn mail is no longer trustworthy.

 There are a lot of pieces on the internet about how the U.S. Postal Service is crumbling, mostly written by conservatives ignoring the ongoing effort by conservatives in Washington to make it do just that. It's more than the 2006 pension law passed by Congress, it's that Congress has crippled its ability to be self-sustaining on a number of levels. Why I don't know, but it really has nothing to do with Amazon, and current Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, by his own admission, is trying to make it worse.

 I honestly don't know if there's a solution or a way to save it, really. It has gotten exponentially worse in recent years, partly due to Trump's spat with Jeff Bezos. Ironically, Amazon's deal with the post office means stuff ordered from them is about the only thing to not get lost or take forever to get to you. Cynical Matt says the post office will be a thing of the past within, say, fifty years. FedEx and UPS - both of which have their own problems apart from price - will probably be your only options unless it's owned by Amazon. Thomas Pynchon had no idea how close he was.

 Anyhow, the News. I've been bad lazy this week, and that reflects in the News. For the most part, I rarely posted anything before 8 p.m. No real excuse, apart from I've been staying up too late playing video games and sleeping through the evening. I still put out some good stuff, though, or at least I think so. Monday and Wednesday were focused on Mississippi, with local elections across the state highlighting the former and the massive amount of rain we got all week for the latter.

 We did some more weather Friday but most of it was focused on the revelation the Trump Administration's Department of Justice was acquiring phone metadata on Democrats looking into Russia's possible intervention in the 2016 election. Of particular note were Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell, both of whom are Public Enemies for conservatives in general. Bill Barr and Jeff Sessions are implicated in it, though they're denying everything, and Apple pretty much rolled over when the DOJ asked for the data, including stuff on the Congress critters' families.

 For what it's worth, if Trump ever sees any sort of legal repercussions to anything he's done, I figure it'll come from the Attorney Generals of New York State and City. Merrick Garland is blocking the investigation into some of his rape allegations and the whole Russia-Ukraine business got him impeached, but I doubt much will come out of it. People seem to forget the federal government's more interested in covering its own ass than anything else.

 But that all needs to marinate so it's for a later date. GOG.com is having its summer sale, so I decided to pick up a couple of indie games as well as some history. Being a fan of fantasy RPGs since the Ultima days, I've had my eye on Spellforce so I decided to give it a shot. Interesting game, sort of a mix between a classic RPG and community builder. I may go ahead and pick up the sequels since their on sale.

 The other two are the indies. I'd played and enjoyed Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulator when it was part of EA's subscription service. However, I'm letting that go and, in any event, it was fairly quickly pulled. It's an after-the-end apocalypse survival simulator where you have to keep a community of survivors alive and thriving. Sort of like Frostpunk, which is highly recommended. The twist is, however, is the apocalypse was caused by or just involves demons. I don't know if it's the Biblical Apocalypse, which I've always considered a great source for fiction. And no, the Left Behind books don't count, mainly because they're crap. More like, say the Dominionist Christian apocalypse happens as they say and the main character is a Buddhist or a Janist or just some poor bastard.

 The other game I bought was Stellar Tactics. It's sort of a Shadowrun-type game based in a galaxy-spanning human society. I don't think there are aliens, but there are augmented humans and mutants. There's also a 2D space simulator that reminds me of Rebel Galaxy in play if not designed. I've only got through the prologue/tutorial, but I'm digging it so far. It's a better-looking Galaxy Squad.

 However, it is still in Early Release and has been so since 2016. It's regularly updated - the last one in March - but I've had bad luck with Early Release games. I'm still put out that Objects In Space was abandoned just after I jumped on board. Let's cross our fingers.

 Finally, I've been watching some late '90s/early Aughts remakes of '50s horror movies, specifically 13 Ghosts and The House On Haunted Hill. They're not as wretched as their reputations would have one believe, but they are a bit of fun. Especially thanks to the gonzo nutball portrayals by Matthew Lillard and Chris Kattan in the two films, respectively. They're good enough to have on in the background while playing video games. I'll probably watch The Haunting Of Hill House remake tonight. That might be a bit trickier, as I love the Shirley Jackson book.

Anyhow. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.