Friday, June 4, 2021

Better late than never, I guess.

 It's past midnight and I forgot to write anything. I mean, I thought of this earlier in the day but I figured I'd knock something out after supper. I got to playing Dragon Age II and let time slip away from me.

 I understand why people knock on this game, particularly compared to Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Inquisition. It's nothing new, gameplay-wise, and it's probably a step-down. It's certainly streamlined from what DA:O had for you. And the story's a bit rambling compared to DA:O, I get that.

 But I like it. For one, I like the setting. Some people gave it shit for being in just one city and a few outdoor spots, but the city has some depth to it, and being able to switch between night and day gives it more variety. On a night mission in Lowtown and need to buy some potions? Well, too damn bad. Hopefully, you can get something off all those thugs that keep attacking you.

 And I like the story. Political intrigue that you're not the center of but get swept up in anyway. Very noir, very Phillip Chandler. It's still the traditional mages-elves-dwarves setting but with a somewhat different take on things, very much like Terry Pratchett's Discworld but not quite as silly. There's some humor in it, though, and some Pterry call-outs. I just found something called "the last decent helmet" and I thought that was funny.

 As for the main character, well, I like Hawke, too. You don't have much to choose from, just their gender and their class, but they're a neat enough character. Just someone trying to do the best for their family in a bad situation as the world explodes around them. I play a male rouge Hawke who's a decent guy and loyal to his people but a bit of a smart ass and laser-focused on his goal, come what may.

 I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the whole "the Chosen One" shtick in fantasy games grates/ The Dragon Age games don't have that. You're playing the world rather than just a character. The interactions are enjoyable, too. Not all the companions like each other, which is nothing new, but some outright loathe each other. I haven't had to dump one for another yet - something that's stymied me in Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - but from what I know, it seems that will be impossible in this game.

 Hey, sue me. My characters are always heroes and nice guys and want people to get along. That's a hard enough line to walk in the real world. I don't really romance in games for the same reasons I don't romance in real life. I could've romanced everyone available to a male human in DA:O. I've got nothing against romanceable characters in games, I just don't care for them. That you can't dodge that in Baldur's Gate II without being a dickbag to someone. best I can talk and that's a mark against the game's story for me. But I'm just a cynical bastard with no romance in his soul, which should come as a shock to no one.

 Speaking of that, I need to get something out of my head. Twice in my adult life have I offered my heart and soul to someone and would've followed to the ends of the Earth. Both times it was rejected by someone who did care enough about me to have a physical relationship and try to maintain a friendship. So this isn't just me creeping on women. Both times I was told by people outside the issue that it wasn't what I thought it was and, thus, should be no big deal.

 Everyone else has been a friend and sometimes with benefits and when those benefits ended if we could stay friends, great. If not, oh well, that's how it goes. Had I more game or were better looking, I would've been hell back when I was on the hunt. And most of the women I've been involved with went after me because, as a general rule, I could care less. I just want to have a good time and wander through the world, and no one's been able/willing/interested in changing my ways.

 Maybe that's why I don't mess with romances in video games. I hate when it seems you're being herded into just for being a decent guy/girl/whatever you're playing. I wonder if that has something to do with the screwy way some kids seem to approach romantic relationships. But that's enough of all that. I need to get back to Thedas, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.