Saturday, October 31, 2020

I ain't good lookin', baby, but I'm some woman's sweet angel child.

  Three more days. It's 6:30 p.m. Country Standard Time here at Enon Holler World Headquarters, and in less than 75 hours all the mess will be over. More likely than not, though, a whole new mess will kick into gear. Before we get started with anything, though, let's bring y'all up to date with this week's News.

  It was a pretty good week overall, three short entries that get the job done, and don't waste your time. We touch on Amy Coney-Barrett's appointment to the Supreme Court Monday and the preparation for Hurricane Zeta Wednesday. Friday looked at the result of said hurricane and some other odds and ends.

 We also saw the slow crumbling of the Hunter Biden laptop story through the week, from a weak piece of bullshit to begin the week to Tucker Carlson himself saying it's not worth the effort for the end. It was interesting to watch it in real-time. Never really holding up for anyone except for those who really wanted it to, it nevertheless failed to catch on with a political media that not only loves bullshit scandals but was thirsty for an election horse race. Nobody wanted to touch it, and once The Wall Street Journal and Fox News turned it down, it was pretty much done. It didn't help that apparently the source for the claims, Rudy Giuliani, actively worked against giving out more info or access to the laptops he claims were slam dunks.

 I hate to play into the delusions of the Trump Base, but I do think The Powers That Be has had it with Trump shitting the bed so thoroughly and aren't inclined to put their thumb on the scale for him. That doesn't mean they're rooting for Joe Biden - doesn't mean they aren't either, I just don't know - and at the risk of going full looney conspiracy theory, I do think there are enough people with enough swing to nudge it one way or another. If that makes sense, and it probably doesn't. I'll get it into some other time. It isn't quite the "five men in the back room with the big cigars" but it's close. Anyhow.

 Hey, it's Halloween. We've probably got all the trick-or-treaters we'll see this year, meaning my cousin's kids and their neighbor. That's fine. I've never been crazy about Halloween as an adult and even less so since I quit drinking. Oddly enough, the last two towns I lived in - Athens, GA, and New Orleans - were big Halloween towns. Even so, the entertainment I got from walking around and seeing people in their costumes wore thin as I got older.

 I've been reading Edward M. Erdelac's Merkabah Rider: High Planes Drifter this week and thoroughly enjoying it. Long story short, it's a collection of novels about a drifter in the West dealing with supernatural horrors but with the gimmick of Judaic mysticism. It's the first in a series of four collections telling an overall story, and I'll probably pick up the other books. I've written a little more in my own Weird Westerns. Another set of character sketches instead of an actual story. I have a plot forming but it's pretty thin.

 I've always had a fascination with religious mysticism. Though I'm no expert, it's always been interesting that Judaism is more accepting of its more esoteric aspects than the other Abrahamic religion. I have no idea why. Christianity has actively tried to suppress its mystic side, though I think Islam is cooler with Sufism. Eastern religions are a whole different kettle of fish, particularly Taoism. Granted, most of what I know about Taoist mysticism comes from the Mr. Vampire movies, but there you go.

 Finally, two excellent CreativeForge Games titles, Hard West and Phantom Doctrine are on sale at Steam this weekend. The former for $1.99 and the latter for $7.99. Both are XCOM-style turn-based strategies, but Hard West has a Weird Western shtick while Phantom Doctrine takes an approach that resembles Len Deighton-style '80s spy thrillers. The TBS aspect of the latter takes a back seat to the spy stuff, so you'll spend more time gathering evidence and making connections, but it's still a blast. I really dig both of them, though the XCOM games are still superior. However, you can't go wrong at those prices, so dig 'em.

 Support indie gaming, enjoy your Halloween and relax this weekend. Monday and Tuesday are going to be a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.