Saturday, October 17, 2020

What Goes On In The Dark Will Soon Come To Light

  I was in a fairly decent mood yesterday but it's evaporated since. It's not the raw-nerves problem that's been peeking here and there, just a case of the red ass. I'm having a lot of those these days. Anyhow, here are the links to this week's News.

 It was actually a pretty good week. They're not really "Deep Dives" officially, but I think I did some pretty good work. Monday we looked at the nomination process of Amy Coney-Barrett, why so many find her objectionable and why the GOP fired up for her getting the Supreme Court seat. We dug into the odds and ends of the current thing about Hunter Biden Wednesday and why it's probably bullshit. Wingnuts have a serious boner for it and aren't letting it go, though it's base claims don't hold up. Worse, the press wants to make a bigger deal out of it than is necessary while ignoring Trump leading a "Lock Her Up" chant in Michigan just a week after a bunch of goons was arrested for planning to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

 Friday was a clean-up of the bizarre town hall special Trump gave where he came off not only as someone's crazy-ass uncle but also barely concerned with his job. We also got caught up on how COVID-19 was doing Mississippi, and the answer is "like a baby treats a diaper." I got a good number of readers over the week, and that's much appreciated.

 Beyond that, I don't know. I've been in a weird melancholy frame of mind today to go along with the sour mood, so that's fun. Weird as it sounds, I'm sort of missing being a young man and indulging in those first few weeks of a new relationship. I'm talking early twenties, not the heavy serious ones, but that type of relationship where you might fool around for a couple weeks and still be friends when it's all over. Back when living in a trailer wasn't a sign of poor life choices and staying up all night doesn't hurt quite as much.

 It's a different vibe from your thirties, the more serious-type relationship, but I never was any good at those. Probably because I never really matured in my lifestyle past 27 or 28 or so. One of the reasons I'm sort of glad my sex drive disappeared is I started feeling awful that none of those worked out and everyone went out of it like she'd wasted her time on me. Which she probably did, I'm not going to lie.

 So much for all that. I got back into Charlie Stross's "The Laundry Files" series. I really like the story. For what it's worth, a math/computer nerd inadvertently comes up with a geometrical do-what that can draw gibbering Lovecraftian horrors into our world, so he's recruited by a hidden British governmental intelligence organization that protects man from things that are best not known.

 However, it's less James Bond kiss-kiss-bang-bang and more Len Deighton's miserable bastard civil servant spy, which is apparently closer to the truth. Stross is a clever writer and does some neat world-building. That being said, I have a hard time believing that every government involved in this game would be able to keep that off the public's radar for any length of time. Greed, animosity, apathy, and just plain stupidity would pop that bubble sooner than later, I think.

 I don't know what else to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.