Saturday, July 31, 2021

I don't know what to tell you.

  The last day of July. Two of my cousins and a passel of their collected young'uns came by today to visit. They were mightily impressed with Momma's basement set-up and it's always fun to see them. I don't see them as much as I should and they're all so grown up. Even the ones that are still teenagers are huge. I don't know what makes me feel older, seeing these kids get old enough to go off to college or knowing that my baby cousin is pushing 40.

  Let's get the News in. Spent a lot of time in Washington, D.C., this week, but it does scan. Between Trump's ongoing legal problems, the Great American Temper Tantrum hearings, and the Infrastructure Bill, it's been a pretty heavy weekend on the Potomac. I've been avoiding too much COVID-19 news because I figure that's going to dominate the Fall. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

 I'm going to get this out of my system. I don't care if you don't get the vaccine. I think you should and you're a moron if you don't, but I care about as much as I care about you demanding to exercise your right to lie down on a busy highway. I don't care about you, but it's a shame about the people you're going to hurt out of your arrogance. And for that matter, I don't give a damn about your kids you're subjecting to possible infection. If you cared more about them than yourself, it wouldn't be an issue.

 My man Ashton Pittman wrote a sharp piece on some of the shenanigans going on at Ole Miss that definitely should be read. I wrote about Arbee Stidham and the joy of finding old music in your preferred genre you didn't know existed over at the Tumblr site. I wouldn't call it a must-read, but it was fun to write, and it's a pretty good tune.

 For those interested, Steam is hosting a free weekend for Square Enix's Marvel's Avengers game. It's a big-ass download and will put your computer through the paces, so be forewarned. I played some of it and... it's okay. It's very pretty and plays well, you're definitely getting a good MCU Avengers vibe. It does deviate some, best I can tell, from cannon but people who get bent out of shape about different platforms telling different stories especially when it comes to comic books are gigantic losers. Look, y'all, multiple universes are built into it.

 I'm not sure how much more time I'll put into it and I doubt I'll worry about purchasing it anytime soon. It's got a good discount that lasts until August 11, if that does anything for you. It's definitely a Triple-A game with all the bloat that entails. It's been somewhat contemptuously compared to Destiny, which I don't think I ever played. They may work for some, but it's all too much for me. Skyrim, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Assassin's Creed IV are about too much for me. I may go back and mess with the Hawkeye bit some, though.

 Something else I want to get off my chest. My four favorite Marvel heroes have all been represented by the MCU. I should say five, but I've never seen the Iron Fist show. Anyhow, I'm shooting 50%. I like how they've handled Spider-Man and Ant-Man (both Scott Lang and Hank Pym, and that whole mess). Unfortunately, they're using the Ultimate versions of Hawkeye and Falcon rather than the original 616 versions.

 I must confess, I don't like super-spy Hawkeye and special forces Falcon. I like Hawkeye who's just a circus kid who worked his ass off to run with mythological beings and a Falcon who's more interested in helping his Harlem neighborhood - impressing the shit out of the Sentinel of Liberty along the way - rather than a soldier who had access to neat toys. I mean, I understand that it actually makes more sense, but I'm old school, I guess. Guys who give a shit top soldiers any day of the week.

 Is there anything else? I can't think of anything. My damn knee is killing me and I don't think I can put off going to the doctor about it much longer. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.