Saturday, July 3, 2021

I got your drinkin' money, tune up your Dobro.

 It's the weekend of the Fourth of July, so if you're going to do something celebrate, have a good time and be safe. I would say avoid big crowds so as to not give the COVID-19 Delta variety a fertile field to grow, but we are way past that, son. But let's move on and get started.

 Good week for the news. We touched on the discussion on medical marijuana in the state senate, the collapse of the condo in Florida, the vagrancies of the law concerning celebrities, and the massive amount of shit Black women have been catching from the Olympic folks. Lots of good stuff there, so go check it out.

 Before I get too deep into it, I just have to get something off my chest. I don't get Nick Cage. I think he's a so-so actor, as far as I can judge those things, when he's being serious (like, say, The Rock) and just irritating when he's being Wacky Nick Cage, like in everything else he does. I'm not crazy about anything he's done, even the iconic roles like in Raising Arizona. If you dig him, fine but I ain't on board. Seriously, Ghost Rider is terrible. Everyone involved should be embarrassed.

 Okay, then. Today's Twitter star is the Intellectual Dark Web darling and editor of the phrenology enthusiasts' publication Quillete Claire Lehmann decided that Sha'Carri Richardson wasn't actually popped for weed but for steroids. Her reasoning? Only steroids could account for Richardson's big hair and long fingernails. No, really. She double-downed on it by claiming Florence Joyner, the late icon, died due to drug abuse. For the record, FloJo died due to an epileptic fit and no one seriously thinks she was juicing, particularly not the coroners who examined her corpse.

But of course, neither she nor her reply guys are backing down on this even in the face of not only having no evidence but all evidence available to the contrary. The only answer is illegal performance-enhancing substances, and nothing else fits, especially for someone like her. You know, "those people" really can't succeed without cheating.

Let's get this out of the way. Yes, I think this is a prime example of pure, uncut racism. If you don't believe so, I do not care. You're probably racist, as well, but don't feel bad. Racism is woven far deeper into American society and it's something most of us have a difficult time recognizing, like a fish explaining what water is. This goes double for anti-Black strains of racism. We don't want to admit it, - see the hoo-hah concerning "Critical Race Theory" - but that is American culture's Original Sin along with genocide and betrayal of the indigenous population.

Again, if you disagree with this perception, I really don't care one way or another. I'm tired of arguing with you assholes and there is plenty of resources available to learn for yourself. There are better people than I who'll spend time trying to save you, but as far as I'm concerned, you can all go skip rope.

One thing that gets me about these discussions is how a lot of people seem to think if there isn't a bonafide slur involved, it can't be an example of racism. I think that's why the "dirtbag left"-slash-IDW-slash-"identity politics" crowd likes things like Quillete so much. It gives them not only an air of legitimacy but isn't as crude as, say, Stormfront. The '90s saw the rise of the Conservative Citizens Council, which rode the same horses as the Klan - white supremacy with a neo-Confederate edge - but wore nice suits and drove expensive cars. A better face on the same old shit, and that's what Quillette is. Plus, it's poorly written, but that's just how things are.

Okay, that's plenty. This has gone on all day and I'm bored with it. Again, if you think I'm being unfair or close-minded concerning Lehmann or the publication, I really don't care and don't waste my time with your jibber-jabber. Keep that in mind if you're experiencing a case of the red ass here. I've been giving Kingdom Come: Deliverance a shot, and goddamn, that's tough. Almost as bad as Outward. It's amazing how much one relies on normal CRPG devices like quest markers and on-screen maps.

But hey. Stay safe, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.