Thursday, July 1, 2021

I got nothing for this. Sometimes it works like this.

  I let this ride too long today. It's 11 p.m. and I desperately need a shower. I get started on this, I'll be dicking around until god knows when. So I'll just get something down and come back to it. I'll have to sit up until my hair dries, anyway. Hold tight.

 Okay, that's done. I'm starting to let more time pass between showers and that's not a good thing. I was supposed to have a video chat with the Psych Doc today but I slept through the damn call. No kidding, was asleep a whole 45 minutes and woke up one minute past the point of no return for a callback. I've got it rescheduled for tomorrow, though, so that's... something.

 Be honest, I wonder if I didn't subconsciously do it on purpose because I'm not looking forward to the talk anyway. Along with the Therapist, he's basically the only human interaction I have all month with anyone I'm not related to, but I am not really inclined to discuss the shitty mood I've been in for the past month. Cranky? Yes. Irritable? Yes. Depressed? Yes. Fatalistic? Yes. Separated? Yes.

 Have a clue what could be behind it beyond just my bad head wiring? Hell, no. I couldn't tell you, don't even have an inkling. Part of it is just being stir crazy, sure, but let's face it. Even when I travel, I don't seek out companionship or company. Even when I'm visiting Athens or New Orleans, the best times are when my hosts and/friends leave me to my own devices.

 But I've always been like that. I remember one of my first visits to Athens, I stayed with the then-guitarist of The Drive-By Truckers and his then-wife. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing and knowing what I know now about their relationship (y'all, never hook up with a musician until they've gone through three or four serious relationships) she was barely consulted. For as long as I knew her - we've since lost touch, but I hope she's well - she'd tell people I was the perfect guest because she didn't have to do a thing while I was under her roof.

 It's a double-edged sword, walking this path. But hey, no one cares about that. Don't ask me what they do care about because I don't know and I really don't care.

 The Northwest is getting baked right now. The other day, Portland, Oregon, was the second hottest place on the planet. And those people don't have air conditioners. Years ago when I visited Chicago, I stayed with a friend of a friend who didn't have A/C and it just happened to be the hottest Fourth of July to date on record. Let me tell you if you don't know, being in a city when it's that goddamn hot is miserable. Even worse than here or New Orleans, I think, because we're at least used to it and planned for it. 

 I feel sorry for you poor bastards with kids or, more specifically, those kids. We have fucked up the planet. Or to be more precise, we've fucked it up to where it may not sustain us anymore. George Carlin has a bit that explores this that I'm sure everyone has seen, and there's something to that. Whatever killed off the dinosaurs also killed off something like 90 percent of multicellular life on land. Life finds a way to survive, but we're not needed for that to be.

 And on that cheery note, it's time to pinch this off. Nobody cares. It doesn't matter. I think I'm just going to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.