Monday, August 26, 2019

Monday, August 26, 2019

 This morning we awoke to dark clouds & pouring rain. My mood & interest in dealing with the rest of the world never recovered. This will probably be a short one.



 Usually after I get up, let the dog out, & have breakfast, I spend the morning going over the news & seeing what's interesting. Sometime around noon, I break off to ruminate, read, play a game, & nap for about two hours, whereupon I hit the gym for an hour. After I get home, I usually catch up on what's happened &/or do the reading/gaming/napping thing again until supper. Then I write & fiddle with it until I want to read, game or go to sleep.

 It generally makes for a full day. Today, however, I had the house to myself, & what did I do? Go right back to sleep after Momma went for her doctor visit. I had multiple occasions to commune with the front yard but didn't really bother. I really wasn't in the mood for much of anything. Sleep, wake up, sleep, wake up, & since it was cool enough after the rain, I didn't have to worry about checking on Otis. Hell, the one time I did bother to commune with the front yard it was to finish what I'd started yesterday.

 Speaking of which, I have the last of New Vegas loaded up. Not sure what I'm going to do once it runs dry, as I'm not comfortable getting it from V.K. Ratliff. There's always New Orleans or Athens that could use a visit, but I really don't care for going to either unless it's on the way to somewhere else.

 I don't know, I'm just not into anything today. It happens like that sometimes & I'll be damned if I can figure out what causes it or where it comes from. It's chemical, I know, but I'm not sure what cocktail will knock it loose. I am not looking forward to doing this the rest of my life in this sort of mess.

 Ah, but I complain. I'm just in one of those moods today, I guess. I really just wasn't into being in this world today. It happens, especially when I didn't get enough rest the night before. Part of the reason I didn't get enough rest is I spent too much of last night playing Elite: Dangerous. I love Elite: Dangerous, it's such a rich, involving game. I had only meant to check into things & catch up whatever updates needed downloading. I had only meant to play it for an hour or so, but one doesn't just "play Elite: Dangerous for an hour or so". It's always a six-hour run, especially once I get into exploring & trading & just looking at the galaxy.

 I'm a fool for space sims & Elite: Dangerous is probably the best in the business. It's light on story; though their's an overall, galaxy-wide narrative where you're a fairly small cog in the whole game. I first fell in love with the concept with an old Atari game called Star Raiders & the first iteration of Elite. Later was spurned on with the different sequels of Wing Commander. I like a story well enough, but like all video games, space sims have the tendency to make the player The Most Important Person In The Universe. That never sets well with me, god only knows why, but it's one of the reasons I dig the Freespace series.

 I am going to get around to reviewing Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, I promise, but I have to play a bit more of it. It's a great game, though, & well worth picking up, if my opinion means anything. For what it's worth, I've made my 500 word count & could quit here, but let's take a quick look at the news. I really haven't spent much time on Twitter today & Mondays are generally slow news days, even in this twisted Trump Era, where reality has taken all leave of its senses.

 Hell, there really isn't that much going on. Another Republican congress critter is dropping out before he gets beaten in the re-election. Johnson & Johnson had to pay over $500 million dollars in a landmark trail concerning opioid cases in Oklahoma, & I think we can all agree that's a good thing. There's a primary election here in Mississippi tomorrow, winnowing down some of the Republican candidates before the general, & everyone has one last opportunity to tell us how much they love Donald Trump & loathe Barrack Obama. Mississippi's a weird state.

 We've got another day of rain coming, some cool days following, & it'll heat up a bit as the weekend comes on. Next week actually looks pleasant, even though Tropical Storm Dorian is still doing its thing. I'm working the aforementioned election tomorrow, so this will probably be another short one when it's time.

 I guess that's about it. I've taken a half a Trazodone & I'm already feeling a bit drowsy. So let's call it a night, friends & neighbors, & hope the sun shines brighter in days to come.