Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

NOTE: This was written on August 6, but for some reason, I saved it to drafts instead of publishing it proper. Ah, well.

 I spent today helping run the election for the Mississippi primary today. I got to the Cardsville Fire Station at 7 a.m. & left about 12 minutes to 8 p.m. Saw a lot of people I haven't seen in 20 years, saw several people I rarely see outside of funerals, & saw a whole helluva lot of people I didn't know from Adam's house cat. Remember, I've been gone 20 years, & there's been a great deal of change in my little unincorporated community. Also, we're a very overweight community. Not a knock, just an observation.

 Out of a little over 200 registered voters, we had about 110 actually vote. I'm told that for a county primary - especially one that elected us a new supervisor, a very important position in this part of the world - the turnout was low. I was the bailiff, which meant I would help with any temporary ballots (of which there were none) & if folks salty (no one did) I called the fuzz on them. It was pretty damn boring, but I got a lot of reading done.

 Because the fire station is constructed in such a way that it basically makes a Faraday cage, I couldn't get a single for my phone &, thus, I missed both the news & Twitter. So, I have no idea about what sort of awful horse shit Trump & his boot-licking cult followers peddled today. Apparently, there's a lot of butt hurt because Julian Castro published a list of Trump donors, information that is totally & completely available to the public. "They're trying to shame Trump supporters," they bleat. Well, you should be ashamed, dicks.

 Also, Republicans are fighting like hell to blame the recent shooting murders on El Paso & Dayton on anything but toxic masculinity & the ridiculous availability of high-powered weaponry. One thick shmuck even said the reason Japan didn't have mass shootings was because they didn't have video games. Sure. Trump is also calling for involuntary incarceration of the "mentally ill", which isn't Nazi at all.

 Anyhow. I'm tired & don't have the use to learn how screwed up the world was while I was doing my part for democracy, so that's enough of that.