Saturday, August 17, 2019

Saturday, August 17, 2019

 The Sleep overtook me today, & I just let it happen. The cruddy feeling & foul mood of yesterday continued, so I feel I didn't miss much. I'm in one of my down moods, where I don't want to do anything much beyond stay asleep & not dream, or failing that, stare at the wall/moronic videos on YouTube. Today was that sort of day, & I just didn't feel like dealing with it.



 Now, that isn't exactly true. I've been reading & thoroughly enjoying a collection of Lovcraftian horror called A Mountain Walked. It concentrates on the Cthulhu Mythos, & features stories over the past century inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's tales from writers like Thomas Ligotti, Neil Gaiman & Ramsey Campbell, & that's probably why it's better than the average collection of tat written in a "Lovecraft-y" way.

 I'm a fan of Lovecraft, despite his very serious issues, from the overly purple prose & lack of characterization to the outright racism & white supremacy. I like the idea of mankind being, at best, a mere speck in the cosmos, unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Far from worrisome, I find that a bit comforting. The idea that all this is planned out & following some sort of intelligent force gives me the screaming willies, I don't know about you. All the little bits of fiction I'm working on have, in some way or another, Lovecraftian themes concerning man's place in the universe & why he should never get too uppity about lest some some squamous horror from before the dawn of time steps on his head.

 I'm tempted to just leave it hear & give myself an out because I'd written so much in the past week. However, I have the feeling working the election Tuesday is going to drain the batteries & I'll need that out. So we push on. This is interesting. It's an explanation of just why there are so many countries/locales with "Guinea" in their name, plus why the British call a certain amount of money a "guinea". It's funny - to me, anyway - how much of human language, probably the single most important aspect that separates us from the rest of the animals (if indeed it does that) is mainly ad hoc & just thrown together. And still we think there is a "plan" or story we're following rather than one thing happening after another.

 Little dark tonight, yep, but I told you I was in a foul mood. Furthermore, I have a headache brewing. I took the wrong batch of pills the other night, which meant I had to skip the correct batch the following morning, so I imagine that's why I've felt such discombobulation the last couple of days. Anyhow, popcorn break.

 Okay, I'm back. How about a little look at the news. I guess the big story today is the "Proud Boys", that jolly lot of tiny-penised racist dingbats founded by butt-play fetishist Gavin McInnes, bused in a bunch of limp-dicked losers to the lovely city of Portland, OR, to antagonize the citizens & give Daddy Trump another excuse to call everyone who disagrees with him "AntiFa" & send them to the gulags he plans to build when he buys Greenland, or whatever the fuck the  waterhead is thinking.

 Despite there only being six injuries & 13 arrests the Proud Bois are claiming victory because Daddy Trump gave them a rub & them vowing to come back every month to terrorize Portland until the town's mayor promises to throw everyone who doesn't like them in jail. Now, that strikes me as funny. the Pwoud Boys are the invaders stirring up shit & trying to get people hurt, yet they feel they can make demands on the City of Portland - which is great, though I only spent an afternoon there & much of that was at Powell's City Of Books - I'm supposed to believe an unorganized group of kids trying to fight violent, right-wing shit heads with sexual inadequacies are the bad guys.

 I don't get it. I also don't get why they continue to pick on Portland. Why not have your Klan rallies in someplace that might be sympathetic to your views, like Tupelo or Red Bay? Why are you Little Bois going to cities that are famous for being bastions of left-wing politics? Because you want to start shit & cause a ruckus, especially since the cops & military are on your side already, as their eaten up with fascist sympathizers. And since Trump has no problem whatsoever t\with the violence done in his name, they feel they have carte blanche to be as awful as possible to cry about living in a world where the straight white man is no longer king.

 So, for better or worse, I stand with AntiFa. Here in the boonies, separated from damn near everything, that doesn't mean a lot, I guess, & I'm way too old to be flying to the other side of the country to mix it up with a group of sexless neckbeards, but the Proud Boys are the ones starting shit, & like they say in New Orleans: "don't start no shit, won't be no shit".

 Anyhow, that's enough of that. I did drive out to Tupelo to pick up my medication & came back via Old 78, through Skyline & Mooreville & Dorsey. That doesn't mean anything to anyone, but it's a pleasant drive through old-school Mississippi, & that's what home is. But enough of that. Maybe tomorrow will be more interesting.