Thursday, June 27, 2019

"Murder Can Hurt You", ABC, 1980



 You know, I halfway thought I made it up.

 In the late spring of 1980, ABC aired a television movie called Murder Can Hurt You. It was a spoof of television police detectives that made up a surprisingly large percentage of regular network viewing in the '70s. Undoubtedly inspired by 1976's Murder By Death, Neil Simon's brilliant parody of your famous literary "super-genius, sort of weird" detectives of the '30s & '40s, this followed much the same formula: tired of the tropes & cliches, an evil mastermind gathers some of fictional law enforcement's snoopers - their traits & eccentricities highly exaggerated, & roasts all of them for the tired plots, the recycled story lines, & increasingly bland characters.

 Except it's not very good. It's not funny. It's not clever. The impersonations & parodies aren't good. It's sluggish. It was written by a guy who did a mess of late '60s/early '70s sitcoms like Happy Days Gilligan's Island, as well as toy leech favorites like Transformers & G.I. Joe. It smacks of "we need a comedy to fill a dead night, finish it by this weekend" air about it. There are a couple clever, short gags, but most of the actual jokes land with a thud. That, or whatever wit happens gets smeared into the ground by repetition.

 The cast is sort of weird. Burt Young plays a somnabulistic Columbo. Buck Owens can't act at all, bless his ol' heart, but he's playing a parody of Dennis Weaver's "cowboy in the big city" McCloud. And at one point, he's wearing longjohns & you can see his package. You know, I love Buck Owens & I've always read his life went to shit, both artistically & personally, when longtime guitar player/right brain Don Rich died in a motorcycle accident in 1974, & I just thought people were being shitty about Hee Haw. Whew, son. Thank goodness for Dwight Yoakam.

 Anyhow. It's not good. Granted, apart from Colombo, I never cared for the "cop detective" shows. I prefer the private eye like Rockford Files. Even at a young age & fairly conservative, parochial mindframe, I didn't care for the whole idea of cops. I don't know if that's what turned off of them or if it was just a matter of which channel the antenna could pull in.

 You can go to IMDB or Wikipedia & look it up yourself. I come across it today or YouTube, but I'm not sure it was worth taking up space in my brain for 39 years, but there you go.

 Boy, that was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.