Thursday, June 13, 2019

Thursday, June 13, 2019

 I've had "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" by the Drive-By Truckers stuck in my head all day. It's a good tune. Years ago - coincidentally, about the time the Truckers put out their Southern Rock Opera - my brother joked about writing a rock opera called The Ballad Of Thumper Deal, based around the post-Elvis guitar pickers that were found throughout the South in the '60s & '70 who mixed blues & country, & went mostly ignored in the wake of Beatlemania & the British Invasion & psychedelic rock & what all. Guys like Tommy Tucker & Jumpin' Gene Simmons & Jerry Jaye

 I'm still kicking around the idea of doing something with that concept. Maybe period mysteries set in some smallish state-line town in Mississippi, something like Corinth, but probably made up a la Yoknaphatpha County. Maybe bring in the Dixie Mafia from the Buford Pusser lore. It might all be too heavy for me, but I could probably slide on some of the historical aspects, especially if I invent the town. I still wouldn't mind doing some sort of backwoods Lovecraft thing, but I don't think the two should meet. Just an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, & may be discarded & ignored if so chose. Cry more & die, man.